Wednesday 6 August 2014

Just Business - is not an excuse.

Just Business - is not an excuse.

I am in a transitional generation. I have the unique and fascinating opportunity to be on the cusp of a transformational shift in business. It is a privilege to be part of a dramatic change in how people do business, and how people value the individuals they do business with. The typical older generation has been led to believe, and internalized, that the pursuit of wealth is the ultimate goal, at any expense. That the pursuit of money automatically negates any concern for the well being of individuals or communities. That somehow outright greed will lead to prosperity for all. The typical younger generation is often split between those that have accepted the indoctrination of the standard business model, and those that strive to be better, think differently, and want to build stronger companies in a moral business environment.

Of course, I am speaking generally. I know many people in business my age and older that are ethical, moral people, and choose to be ethical, moral business people. I also know people my age and younger that have embraced the money at any cost ethos to the point where there is no thought or consideration for what is right. My point is that the people who choose the path of making decisions solely for personal gain are in the fading twilight of a business culture that will eat itself out of existence. I strive to connect with, and actively seek out, business people that are making a conscious choice to be better, to step out of the current model and contribute to building this new paradigm of business thought.

The idea of a corporation being a distinct and separate entity allows for the creep of separateness and space between the actions of the company and the actions of the individuals within it. While the executives, officers, managers, and employees may profess an ethical standard as individuals, that ethical standard can falter or fail if the values of the business are based solely on profit, ROI, and pandering to the short term demands of day to day shareholders. The long term effects of living and working in this head space seem to then also creep into the minds of the individual. When it is OK for the business to do whatever is necessary to deliver profit, why shouldn't it then also be OK for an individual to do the same.

I have been in countless meetings with lawyers, accountants, executives, boards of directors, and many, many personal conversations with acquaintances and colleagues where a question of ethics, morality, right, or simple, plain decency comes down to the answer; "Well, that's just business."

Just business. What does that mean?

"I wouldn't do that if he was my friend, but this is just business." 
"She's going to lose everything, but she should know, it's just business."

Too often, the words "just business" are an excuse to set aside personal morals for business gains.

Is it a justification for action already taken? Is it an excuse for something that is going to happen? Is it that as a culture, we accept that while we collectively agree that harming another person is wrong, there is an exception if the harm is perpetrated in the interests of money? Is it that the end truly does justify the means in business? Are the ethical and moral standards that we ascribe to that easily set aside, qualified, or excused?

These are not simple questions. These are questions that will dictate the survival and success of not only modern economic prosperity, but the quality of who we are as people and how we live within our communities. These are questions that we should all ask ourselves when we consider the choices we make. I have asked these questions of myself, and the answer is, No.

I have directly and deeply felt the impact of what happens when someone makes a decision that negatively impacts me in business. It is especially more traumatizing when the actions are taken in direct opposition to what that person's stated ethical standards were.

I have made business decisions that were the right thing to do, but that had a massive negative impact on me personally and financially. And I have learned, to my detriment, that if I hold others to my ethical standard, I will be disappointed.

I have been in a partnership where I invested everything. My time, energy, focus, and will. And money. I spent years working with these people in a business with the potential for a fantastic return, and the potential to make a significant impact on the world. I chose to bring them into the opportunity because they professed a vision that matched mine. I chose to build relationships with them because they professed a similar approach to business. A belief in the value of people, business, and the world that would lead to choices that were intended to make the world better, and be financially successful in the process. A belief that the long term viability was paramount, even at the cost of setting aside a short term payout. I believed that what they said is what they would do. 

Because I believed this of them, I made immense sacrifices to ensure the success of the venture. Two years into the project, I got an offer - Leave my current partners and go with a new partner. I'd get a bigger piece of the business, and a cheque for my trouble that would allow me to be completely debt free and live comfortably for the next ten years. But I would have to cut my current partners out of everything to do it. I never even considered it. I told her that my partners and I had a long term vision for the success of the project, that we were in it together, and I would not sacrifice them for any price. 

Fast forward a year, and my partners forced me out of the project in order to take a short term payout. They sacrificed the business, the long term vision, the potential for change, and me, my work, my effort, and my vision - for money. 

What I had failed to understand was that while these partners had used words and signed their names to agreements committing to a moral and ethical standard, it had not been tested in reality. When the money shined it's light on the dark corners, the true nature of greed's ability to overpower words was revealed. When I asked one of the partners why he had chosen to make this decision, he said "It's just business." Just business. I wouldn't have thought that 20 years of friendship and 3 years of work together had a price tag. 

One of my business mentors asked me, "Are you disappointed that you didn't take the deal?" It's a difficult question. But the answer is no. Although the money, and the stability and security it would have brought would have been nice, it was still the right decision, even in light of what has happened since. I am fortunate to have learned what the price of my integrity is. I know with absolute clarity, down to the dollar, what my word is worth. 

And, again, I know the risk of placing my trust in others. 

Business ethics are forged, and ethics are only ideals until they are tested. The key is to find and work with others that have had their beliefs tested, and successfully come through with a deep understanding of the quality of their character.

There are challenges in holding these type of values when living and working in a system that does not share them. Having a strong moral and ethical approach to business can lead to others either perceiving it as a weakness, to be taken advantage of, or manipulated. This should not change you, but you should be aware of how others may alter their work with you because of it. In an interaction with another individual with the same beliefs, values, and ethics, you can be free, open, and honest and move quickly and efficiently to progress. In an interaction with individuals that are on different levels there is a necessity for caution, awareness, and perhaps even healthy dose of wariness.

The ability to make moral decisions is based on context and knowledge. We must have an understanding of the environment that we make these decisions in, and a solid grasp of the impact these decisions have on ourself, and others. 

By holding others to my personal standards I will inevitably be disappointed by those that fail to meet them. But I will also be encouraged and fulfilled by those that exceed them. In the end, it comes down to trust. I must continue to trust that the people I do business with believe what I believe, share what I value, and will maintain an equal integrity when challenged. I have to trust that if I stand for what I believe, and prove it through the decisions that I make, and the actions I take, I will continue to draw those with a similar outlook into my circle. The more that like minded business people gather, the easier it becomes to do quality business, and the more momentum builds towards a business environment where we can thrive without sacrificing what is right.





No comments:

Post a Comment